Click here to access the full candidate profile.
The minimum qualifications for the position of Fire Chief are:
- A minimum of six years supervisory experience is required, three of which must be at a Chief Officer’s level which has afforded the individual the opportunity to become familiar with all phases of fire district/department operations.
- Candidates must have substantial incident command experience in an all-risk fire district.
- Candidates must have substantial experience in providing training to large numbers of students, both in the classroom and in the field.
- Education and/or professional or technical training equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree in Fire Administration, Public or Business Administration or related field.
License and Certificates
- Valid California Class A or B Driver’s License (or obtained within six months)
- An EMT or EMT-P certification
Residence must be maintained within the Sphere of Influence of the District as defined in the most current Municipal Service Review from the Mono County Local Agency Formation Commission.
Preferred qualifications for the position of Fire Chief are:
- Experience with volunteer Districts.
- Experience in the California Standardized Emergency Management System (SEMS), CalOES Mutual Aid System.
- Administrative experience in:
- Personnel Management
- Strategic Planning
- Risk Management
- Open Public Meetings
- Substantial experience in two or more of the following:
- EMS Management
- Technical Rescue
- Urban Search and Rescue
- Public Education
- Hazardous Material Mitigation
- Fire/Arson Investigation
- Records Management Systems
- A Master’s Degree in Fire or Public Administration
- California Chief Officer Certification
- National Fire Academy’s Executive Fire Officer Program
License and Certificates
- California Fire Command and Fire Management Series
- ICS 400
- CalOES Emergency Operation Center Credentialing (any position)
- CICCS Division Supervisor or equivalent
- Haz Mat Incident Command
- Instructor IA and IB
The annual salary for the incoming Fire Chief is $150,000 to $170,000, based upon on qualifications and experience. MLFPD also offers an attractive benefits package including:
- Retirement: PERS (Classic CalPERS at 3% at age 55, PEPRA at 2.7% at 57)
- Insurance: health, dental, and vision
- Deferred Compensation: Eligible for a Section 457 Plan with a match of up to 3%.
- Vacation: 3 weeks vacation to start
- Holidays: 11 holidays per year
- Sick Leave: Accrued at 7.39 hours per 28-day pay period.
- Vehicle: Department vehicle provided.
- Life Insurance