The minimum requirements for the position of Fire Chief are:
- Candidates must have a minimum of 7 years progressive Chief Officer experience with at least three years at an Administrative level.
- Must have a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Fire Science, Fire Administration or related field.
- Masters degree preferred.
- Must have proof of eligibility for employment in the United States.
- Must have a valid state driver’s license.
- Must be able to communicate the English language clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Must be a non-user of any tobacco products.
- Must have exceptional interpersonal skills.
Highly desirable candidate qualifications and qualities include:
- Understanding of taxation and election strategies.
- Experience as the Fire Chief of a special district or other entity wherein the fire chief is the Chief Executive as opposed to a department-head.
- Proven consensus and trust builder.
- Political acumen and sensitivity.
- Adaptive, encouraging management style.
- Successful management of COVID-19 mandates.
- Successfully led transition from smaller department to larger department.
- Experience expanding mental health services for personnel.
- Even-keeled under pressure and when mediating conflict.
- Financial strategist for long-term sustainability.
- Proactive and detail-oriented problem solver.
The monthly salary for the incoming Fire Chief is $17,385.72 to $18,213.62 and is dependent upon qualifications. SVFD also offers an attractive benefits package including:
- Retirement: Washington State LEOFF2
- Medical and Dental Insurance: Provided with some employee participation.
- Vehicle: Department vehicle provided.
- Vacation: 22 hours per month.
- Holidays: 96 hours per year.
- Bereavement Leave: 40 hours.
- Sick Leave: 12 hours per month.
- Deferred Compensation: Match of 2.5% of monthly wage.
- Life Insurance: $50,000.
Click here to access the full candidate profile.